If you have some old horrible looking cast iron hiding in your cabinets, chances are you can bring it back to a thing of beauty, just like my cast iron bread pans pictured in the post below. With a little time and a bit of trouble, depending on which way you want to go with reconditioning, you can get some amazing results with garage sale finds. Greg, at the Black Iron Dude, answers all our questions. Many thanks, Greg! I have linked the numbers below to some specific posts of his.
1. How do I clean it, keep it nice, and why I don't have to use soap.
2. How do I re-season my cast iron? He lists several different ways to do it, and also mentions the worst way to do it.
3. What can I use my pan for besides cornbread? He has recipes are all over his site: from biscuits to beans to veggies on the grill. And yes, I use mine on top of my flat glass top electric stove, even though I wish it was a gas beast. :)
4. Old verses New cast iron. This is so interesting!
5. Why some prefer cast iron to teflon. He says if a fried egg won't roll around in it without sticking the seasoning needs to be better, especially if it is an old skillet.
6. This is the trash bag method I used to recondition my bread pans.
7. Here is another way to season after cleaning.
8. Zap it off with a car battery? The electrolysis method, if you have a lot of iron to recondition.
Let me know if any of this is helpful or you have some questions. I will try to help.
No comments:
Post a Comment