When my doctor called and told me that the lump on my neck was malignant, thyroid cancer, I of course was shocked. My second thought was the word cancer or malignant does not bother me. I am ready to go home to be with my Lord, right now, tomorrow or 30 years from now. My God is sovereign and has numbered my days ("All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" Psalm 139:16). I could die from a car wreck or cancer or any number of things, today, tomorrow, or years from now. John Piper wrote a piece entitled "Don't Waste Your Cancer" on the eve of his cancer surgery a little over two years ago. I read that he has gotten more feedback from Don't Waste Your Cancer than anything he has ever written. When I read it two years ago I was definitely impacted by it. I pulled it out before my surgery and read it again. It is such an encouragement and convicting piece that the Lord has used in my life, I wanted to share it with you. I will spare you all the boring details of my cancer. I think we all think that our own illnesses, including all the details, are as interesting to others as they are to us, but they're not. But I do thank you for all of the prayers and displays of affection that friends and family have poured out on me. They've been a blessing and encouragement! Pray for me that God would be glorified in me as I proceed through what He has planned. - Cris
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Don't Waste Your Cancer
When my doctor called and told me that the lump on my neck was malignant, thyroid cancer, I of course was shocked. My second thought was the word cancer or malignant does not bother me. I am ready to go home to be with my Lord, right now, tomorrow or 30 years from now. My God is sovereign and has numbered my days ("All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" Psalm 139:16). I could die from a car wreck or cancer or any number of things, today, tomorrow, or years from now. John Piper wrote a piece entitled "Don't Waste Your Cancer" on the eve of his cancer surgery a little over two years ago. I read that he has gotten more feedback from Don't Waste Your Cancer than anything he has ever written. When I read it two years ago I was definitely impacted by it. I pulled it out before my surgery and read it again. It is such an encouragement and convicting piece that the Lord has used in my life, I wanted to share it with you. I will spare you all the boring details of my cancer. I think we all think that our own illnesses, including all the details, are as interesting to others as they are to us, but they're not. But I do thank you for all of the prayers and displays of affection that friends and family have poured out on me. They've been a blessing and encouragement! Pray for me that God would be glorified in me as I proceed through what He has planned. - Cris
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you during this time. We miss you all.
i love you aunt cris and am praying for ya'll and i'll be in OHIO in 6 weeks!! woohoo!! :)
Post a Comment