It's a well known fact that middle children are often deprived and neglected. I'm the middle child of the Cavie family myself (lest you think that both Emily and I are middle children let me point out that Emily is the oldest girl, so she still has that firstborn thing going on - I'm the middlest of the middle children). Whenever Em and I tease Mom about Jeff being the F.C. (favorite child), or when Jeff and Em talk about the baby of the family (Steph) getting away with so much more than they did, I always bring up the fact that I have never been to the circus. Jeff and Em went when I was a baby, and Mrs. Justice and Carson took Steph several years ago, but I suffered from middle child syndrome in this regard.But when Mom and Dad gave me my Easter basket this spring, sitting there amongst the chocolate and jellybeans was a note that said RINGLING BROTHERS and BARNUM&BAILEY - good for tickets to the circus this May! So last Friday night, when Dad was away at a deacon's retreat, Mom, Steph, and I went to The Greatest Show On Earth!
I was excited. I was thinking - clowns, elephants, yay! - this should be pretty fun. But I have to admit that as much as I brought up the fact that I had never been to the circus, I never felt nearly as neglected as I pretended to be. I thought, sure, it's the circus, but hey, it's just some clowns and a few elephants right? I had no idea what I was missing out on. It wasn't "pretty fun" it was FANTASTIC. I was expecting clowns that fall down and slap each other around, and I saw a clown with crazy hair running around a spinning wheel higher than my house, jumping and dancing, keeping his balance the whole time without a harness! It was so much better than I had expected! I loved it!!
The gymnasts were amazing, getting thrown into the air, doing flips, and landing on each others' backs (at one time with five people stacked on top of each other) perfectly. Of all the animals and crazy stunts and skills, the gymnasts and trapeze artists were the most impressive and rank as my favorites.
I love Zebras. How could anyone think that an animal like this just evolved?

Human cannonballs.
I have circus fever. Next time you see me, I'll be riding down the street on a unicycle.

I love Zebras. How could anyone think that an animal like this just evolved?


Human cannonballs.
I have circus fever. Next time you see me, I'll be riding down the street on a unicycle.
3 comments:
We went to see them about 8 years ago and enjoyed it. In fact my friend offered me a free ticket to go with her Thursday but i had Karter and so turned her down.
I agree, you are the deprived true middle child. Perhaps that's why you like moss and green shoes. You're one of a kind (:
A very good post. :) Makes me want to go again.
Did you ever see C.B. DeMille's The Greatest Show On Earth? That is as far as my three daughters have gotten to going to the Ringling Barnum and Bailey Circus. (I guess all of them were deprived, but you need to talk to Lydia about the middle child syndrome.) I think. We have talked about it, but I don't think we have ever gotten to go to a REAL big circus, only the little ones that come to podunk, Mississippi.
Aunt Terry
Post a Comment