I grew up hugging. Southerners hug. Italians hug. I am both. Has anyone noticed that there is a growing threat to the hug? Strangers will shake hands and then lean in for the one cheek kiss. If they are total strangers it may be an "air cheek kiss". I have never been comfortable with people smooching on me who don't belong to my family (or at least my extended family). It must be my southern roots.
I have always been appalled by non-hugging families. Hugging is a good thing. Have you ever heard the term, "Hug off" or "Hug of death"? Of course not. Hugging is natural. Even hand shaking can have it's problems: too sweaty, too firm, or too "limp fishy." My mamma said NEVER give anyone a limp fish. Women tend to think this is how they should shake hands, that it is somehow feminine. It is not.
I realize that the idea of hugging, for some men who were not raised in the south or by a southern mamma, may be a challenge. Therefore I have come across a man-hug tutorial for you non-southern, non-Italian men out there who might need a bit of help.
-Cris
1 comment:
Cute...but they forgot my favorite the combo shake-hand hug...shake with the right hand lean in over left shoulder and pat the back then back off...of course those boys were British, maybe this is a Southern style man hug.
Post a Comment