Friday, January 25, 2008


My family has been insisting that I follow up on my Persuasion post with a review of Northanger Abbey and I have been putting it off because I can't figure out whether or not I liked it. It was ok. While Northanger Abbey is one of my least favorite of Austen's books and the one I've read least, I still enjoy it every time I read it. And the movie wasn't much different from the books - all the main points were essentially the same, the few changes I noticed were relatively minor, and it was probably one of the most faithful adaptations of a Jane Austin book I've ever seen (except for the portrayal of the type of books Catherine read--the ones in the movie seemed more like something you'd find in the modern romance section of your local bookstore). But I didn't love it. I didn't want to immediately re-watch it (those who know me well understand why that's a big thing; I've had a habit since the age of five of watching movies over and over and over. If it's good I watch it at least twice.) , as I did with Persuasion.

I still haven't figured out why this is the case, but a big part of it is simply that it's an adaptation. It's just not the book. Whenever any book is translated to film, something is lost in translation, and half the fun of Northanger Abbey is Austen's narration. Northanger Abbey is a parody of Gothic romance and a great deal of the wit and comedy is in Austen's continual comparing of her novel with what we expect of her novel; in her describing a heroine so unlike the classic heroine everyone knows, a hero who is wise but not handsome, and an old castle with no secrets.

Even the straightforward love story of Catherine Morland and Henry Tilney suffers in being adapted for the screen. 90 minutes is simply not enough time to get to know the characters of a two hundred something page book. While watching this movie I just felt so confused, it seemed like it was rushed, and yet nothing ever happened! If you're an Austen junkie, like me, go ahead and watch it for the sake of watching it, and let me know what you think. Otherwise, skip the movie, read the book.


P.S. If you simply cannot get enough of that infamous run, watch this.

1 comment:

Emily O. said...

Where's the next review???